Sunday, June 29, 2008

Attention All Restaurants: You're not IBM!

Restaurant Owners,

Just an FYI, when I call for a reservation, I don't want to know that your menu
choices have changed, and I don't want to be automatically put on hold and kept
on queue for any amount of time. I want to immediately hear a cheery human voice
and I want them to tell me if they can accommodate my request so that if they cant,
I can immediately call one of the more than 11,000 other restaurants in Philly or
one of the 23,000 in NYC. I'm still waiting for a call back from SnackBar, 2 calls and
Rae not that I haven't made other plans. Where did this hubris come from? A restaurant
is not an insurance company, a bank, a hospital or any other institution from which I must suffer arrogance. You're a restaurant, regardless of the regard you or anyone else has for
your food! So, for the newcomers to this most competitive business, get a grip. Your job,
if you are to max out your chances for success must make it easy on us , not difficult.
And speaking of success in the restaurant business, call one of Danny Meyer's or Mario Batali's restaurants in Manhattan. No machine, a real cheery voice. Can't think of 2 more successful restaurateurs, Can you? Think there's a connection?

No comments: